Monday, June 30, 2014

Alpha Legion Color Scheme

Well after what seems like ages of trying to figure out what color scheme I wanted to do I think I have finally figured it out.  As I was writing my last post about color schemes and picking a Horus Heresy Army I posted this picture, which I love, and realized I wanted to figure out a color scheme as close to this as possible, while giving it a bit of my own flair.  So, what do I love about this scheme?  I love the metallic blue paired with grey/silver.
So, as I was perusing blogs I came across a post (unfortunately I can't remember whose or I would link it here) where they talked about spraying a glaze onto a model instead of brushing.  This allowed a relatively even coat and you could make it darker or lighter depending on how many coats you did.  Well, I decided to try it out with a bright metallic base with a badab black wash and got the following after two passes.  
I really like the color scheme of this model.  You can tell that it is metallic blue and the glaze makes real shadows as the light hits it from different directions.  As an added bonus it is relatively quick and I feel that it looks different from a typical Ultramarines blue.  I really like the white helmets and I can't really figure out why except for the contrast.  I also like the grey detailing but I'm still trying to figure out what the spot color should be.  What do you think, orange or green?

On the model above you can see that after washing the original metallic color with black I went back and line highlighted with the metallic color.  I decided not to do this on the final models mainly because I don't like the look.  I really enjoyed the finished look of the blue model above and how it contrasts with the line highlighted grey detailing.

So, that leaves me with a color scheme mostly decided upon (besides a spot color) and I can now get to work on my Legion Reconnaissance Squad.  I have loved this squad since Forgeworld first put them out and hope I can do it justice.  I'm also going to try doing some battle damage with drybrushed silver and so we'll see how that goes.  This is my last post of the week which means I'll be going to 2 or 3 posts a week from now on.  In the next post I hope to have some really good updates on the legion tactical squad for your comments and criticism!  Until next time.

3 comments:

  1. The last pic looks metallic green, are you able to elaborate a bit more on what colours/paint you used? Is it nail polish by any chance? Looks magnificent. What chapter is the drawing of the space marine? Alpha legion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nathan, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I've been out of the hobby for the summer (hence the lack of new content). The drawing is indeed of the Alpha Legion. The test models were done using an airbrush. First I laid down a metallic coat, then washed with black ink(with a brush), and then two or three very light coats of gulliman blue were sprayed on or the green wash depending on the look I wanted. It was pretty impossible to get the even coverage with a typical brush but the airbrush made it possible!

    ReplyDelete